The Bagnes Valley has many summits, the most prestigiious being the Grand-Combin, which is 4'314 metres high. Here you will discover 21 mountains, from the Pierre Avoi to the Rogneux, passing by the Pleureur, Ruinette or Petit-Combin.
A magnificent climbing park with an unimpeded view of the Rhone valley and Entremont district, the summit of the Pierre Avoi can easily be accessed thanks to a ladder and chains. It takes an hour and half to reach the summit via a marked path from the top of the Savoleyres lift station.
Accessible via a cable car since December 1987, the Mont-Fort is a popular Summer destination: every Thursday it is possible to reach it at dawn to see the sunrise. In Winter the Mont-Fort offers a difficult piste on its West face and a huge amount of off-piste possibilities.
It is called "Pleureur" because its West wall, more than two thousand metres high, is susceptible to rockfalls and avalanches during adverse weather.
The first recorded ascent of Pleureur was on the 13th of July 1866 by Ed. Hoffmann, accompanied by Bagnard guides Justin Fellay, Séraphin Bessard and Joseph Gillioz. The account of this day is found in the book "Eveil du tourisme dans le Val de Bagnes" (M. Carron, C. Michaud, F. Luisier et J.M. Gard, 1983) published by the Commune de Bagnes.
Mont-Blanc de Cheilon
Climbers can see Its majestic North face from the Dix mountain cabin. Its main summit is rarely accessed by ski tourers in Springtime, in favour of the Winter summit (3827m) on the South-West side.
The first recorded ascent of the Mont Blanc de Cheilon was on the 11th of September 1865 by Weilenmann and the Bagnard guide Justin Fellay.
Its first recorded ascent was by Whymper, with Christian Almer and Franz Biner. on the 5th of July 1865, 8 days before his ascent of the Matterhorn, but Whymper only spoke about this climb in passing.
This sentinel over the Haut-Val de Bagnes is found in front of the long ridge separating the Brenay and Otemma glaciers. The summit is reached by the Western edge from the Chanrion mountain hut.
Left side of the Otemma glacier : from Singla to the Mont-Gelé
Several wild summits are found on the ridge separating the Italian Valpelline and Haut Val de Bagnes. From left to right: Singla (3'714 m), Bec de la Sasse (3'496 m), Aouille Tseuque (3'554 m), Bec d’Epicoune (3'529 m), Bec du Chardoney (3'447 m), Mont-Morion (3'497 m) and Mont-Gelé (3'518 m). Note that the Otemma glacier is the 9th longest glacier in Switzerland (8 km en 2000).
The first ascent of the Singla was on the 22nd of July 1867, by Carl Schroeder and the Bagnard guide Séraphin Bessard. However, the first complete crossing of the Singla wasn't achieved until 1926 by Maurice Gilbert.
The first recorded ascent was on the 21st of July 1866 by Weilenmann and local guide Joseph Gillioz.
The first ascent was by F.-W. Jacombs, accompanied by J. B. et Michel Croz on the 11th of August 1861.
The first ascent via theTsessette was in 1865, by local guide Joseph Gillioz and from the South-East ridge on the 5th of July1867 by Hoffmann-Merian with Justin Fellay and Séraphin Bessard.
This huge mountain is notable for its strong presence on the Western side of Valais. It is the highest summit between the Mont-Blanc and the Dent Blanche. The Grand Combin dominates in splendid isolation, supported by a series of smaller peaks. Only experienced climbers can hope to make it to the top, and the seracs regularly kill those who recklessly walk its pathway.
A little history…
The first four groups to climb the Grand-Combin came via what is now the Aiguille du Croissant (4'260 m). This was first climbed by local guides Maurice Fellay and Jouvence Bruchez on the 20th of July 1857, then by these same guides accompanied by William Mathews and Auguste Simond on the 19th of August that same year. Only the 5th group made it to the top, what is now the Combin de Grafeneire : that of Charles Sainte-Claire Deville with Daniel, Emmanuel and Gaspard Balleys and Basile Dorsaz, on the 30th of July 1859. Finally, the first ascent on skis via the Panossière mountain hut was on the 23rd of March 1916 by M. Choudens and the guide Maurice Crettex.
The Combin de Corbassière was conquered for the first time by Gottlieb Studer and local guide Joseph-Benjamin Fellay on the 14th of August 1851. The account of this climb is recounted in the book "Eveil du tourisme dans le Val de Bagnes" (M. Carron, C. Michaud, F. Luisier et J.M. Gard, 1983), published by the Bagnes municipality.
Note that the Corbassière glacier is the 5th longest in Switzerland (10,2 km en 2000).
The first tourist ascent of the Petit-Combin wasn't until 1890 on the 25th of July, by Ch. De la Harpe and Ed. W. Violler with local guide Justin Bessard.
From the beginning of Winter, snow covers the vast maze of rocks and makes for an attractive hiking spot. It is therefore very popular with ski-tourers, either from the Brunet mountain hut (2'104m) or from the village of Champsec (900 m).